5 Ways to Maximize Your Child’s Potential with MINDSET!
Updated: Feb 15
By Kevin Leichtman, Director of Academic Mindset
Your child has unlimited potential! You probably know this and believe it with your whole heart. The issue is rarely about believing in our child’s potential. Typically, it’s about bringing their potential out to the surface. The key is in strengthening their mindset! Here are five practical tips you can apply to help your child improve their mindset and achieve their maximum potential!
1) Communication – Honest communication can help your child reach a new level. Think about moments where they are under pressure and stress (like before a big exam). Ask them how you can help motivate them.
Do they want you to review practice tests? Would they rather you tell them inspirational stories? Maybe they want you to act like it’s just another day. Children motivate themselves differently. Ask what works best for them and be that support they need!
2) Language Checks – Maximizing potential takes an emphasis on positive language. Think about the words and phrases they use as well as the phrases they hear you say. Do they hear excuses or responsibility? Confident statements or doubtful wondering?
Make positive language a focus in your house. Let them see you correcting your own language so they understand it takes practice. Reframe negatives into positives!
3) Action Plans –Most students have ideas of what they want to accomplish but the issue is in the follow through. Know your child’s goals and write them down somewhere visible. Then, it’s time to create a plan of action. Help your kid plan daily actions they can commit to that will practically guarantee their success. This way, the goal won’t slip away or be forgotten about.
4) Redefine Failure –Many kids believe that failure is absolute and it eats away at their confidence when they don’t come out on top. A low grade, a loss in a sport, or a social setback can all make them feel like a failure.
Talk often about the importance of failure. It provides invaluable experience and allows for future success.
5) Create Conditions for Growth – Provide challenge, stimulation, and positive role models for your child. It is always worth the time, money, and energy to surround your child with influences that will lead to their success.
Pick up inspirational books and movies for them to engage with. Encourage them to join sports and clubs that will surround them with driven peers. Find coaches, mentors, and programs that keep them focused on their growth and help them avoid peer pressure. We strongly recommend mindset training, which will improve every aspect of their quality of life! One way you could get started is to sign them up for our mindset training program (and take 25% off!) https://courses.zwinningmindset.com/p/student-mastercourse/?product_id=1264196&coupon_code=PARENTS
We even offer 1 on 1 mindset coaching, which you can find information about at http://zwinningmindset.com/programs/academics
Bonus tip: Balance – Make sure your child isn’t burning out from constant pressure or stress in one area. Live a lifestyle that includes exercise, healthy dieting, pursuit of passions/hobbies, and positive support for all goals, not necessarily just academic goals. A well rounded child will continuously improve every aspect of their life. Always strive to achieve more balance as that will make their academics and study time more meaningful and efficient.
Support your child’s mindset and it will pay dividends for the rest of their life. We want the best for our children. Let’s make sure to put them in position to get better every day! Your child has unlimited potential! You probably know this and believe it with your whole heart. The issue is rarely about believing in our child’s potential. Typically, it’s about bringing their potential out to the surface. The key is in strengthening their mindset! Here are five practical tips you can apply to help your child improve their mindset and achieve their maximum potential!